While we all wish the Blues could have gone further in the playoffs, there’s no denying that what the accomplished this season was great. They exceeded so many expectations.
Who expected them to finish second in the Western conference? Or win the Central? I sure as hell didn’t. And it’s not like they won an easy division, either. They won a Central Division that had FOUR one hundred point teams. They showed the rest of the league what Blues fans had known for a long time. We always knew they had a ton of potential that they weren’t quite hitting. They took a huge step this season. And it was amazing to watch them do it. This season was a coming out party for a team that had been on the cusp for a long time. And while this season is over, they’ve gained experience, a (soon to be announced, hopefully) new owner, and they have a lot to build on for next season.
So while this is a disappointing ending to the season, it was an incredibly fun year. Personally, my favorite season as a Blues fan. This group of players is my favorite group of Blues that we’ve had. I’m extremely proud of this team.
So this is a post to reminisce on all of those great things that happened this season. Below the cut is a list of things I could think of; please add your favorite moments. There are a ton more, I’m sure. What were the most memorable moments of the season for you?
David Perron’s return after missing 97 games
David Perron’s first goal of the season in his first game of the season
David Perron scoring a career high in goals in only 57 games played
Evgeny Grachev’s first NHL goal
Jamie Langenbrunner scoring in his 1,100th game
Elliott’s new shutout streak record
The Blues setting a franchise record for most shutouts in a season
Ken Hitchcock quotes
Halak’s shutout against the Habs and ensuing standing ovation from Montreal
Jaden Schwartz scoring his first NHL goal on his first shot
Chris Stewart and Anthony Stewart playing against one another for the first time in the NHL
Kevin Shattenkirk’s confidence in his mustache
The Weenie Hat
Kris Russell scoring in his first game as a member of the Blues
Sobotka’s hit on John Scott
Pietrangelo basically being PPG in the second half
Polak crawling on the ledge of the bench
Jackman’s first goal in a couple of years
The Blues guest-starring on 24/7
John Kelly and Darren Pang
The 3rd period comeback against Edmonton
The great play by Perron and Oshie for the lone goal against Dallas
Cade Fairchild’s first NHL game
WINNING IN THE SHOOTOUT… AT LEAST I THINK THEY DID, ONCE OR TWICE?
David Backes named captain
Mysterious photoshoppings of Alex Steen into the team photo
Halak’s 100th career win
Halak’s save in the shootout against Andrew Ladd
David Backes nominated for Selke
Doug Armstrong nominated for GM of the year
Halak and Elliott winning the Jennings Trophy
Hitch being nominated for the Jack Adams (if I had to pick one Blues related player to win their award, I’d pick Hitch. He really deserves it.)
Russell’s fantastic play this postseason
The Polak Door
Playoff beards. Glorious playoff beards.
Tagged as: alex pietrangelo. alex steen. andy mcdonald. barret jackman. bj crombeen. brian elliott. carlo colaiacovo. chris porter. chris stewart. david backes. david perron. ian cole. jamie langenbrunner. jaroslav halak. jason arnott. kent huskins. kevin shattenkirk. kris russell. matt d'agostini. patrik berglund. roman polak. ryan reaves. scott nichol. st. louis blues. tj oshie. vladimir sobotka. jaden schwartz.
- cmk418 answered: Beating the Sharks in the first round. Chris Porter’s career year. The moment we were able to play with an entirely healthy roster.
- merbear27 reblogged this from ilovegoaliesplits
- underthearch reblogged this from bloozehockey
- pinkgirlwiththeblues answered: 1) Halak’s shutout against the Habs with standing ovation. 2) Performance by both Halak and Elliott 3) Alex Pietrangelo is killer
- thepinkoffadingneon answered: I think just in general the overall performance of Alex Pietrangelo who has shown everyone how great he can be.
- imdeterminedtosucceed likes this
- sarahh0ckey reblogged this from bloozehockey
- kittenwarlock answered: Just.. thank you for this post <3
- kittenwarlock likes this
- kaitlynconnerly reblogged this from backesexual
- shelterfromtehstorm likes this
- ovyonetimer likes this
- hawk-and-animal likes this
- backesexual reblogged this from bloozehockey
- backesexual likes this
- mike-and-my-mind reblogged this from bloozehockey
- ilovegoaliesplits answered: It just wasn’t THEIR year this year. It’s coming though…
- wings-the-destroyer reblogged this from bloozehockey
- babygiraffesandpumas likes this
- justinspoliticalcorner likes this
- sweettwistedapples likes this
- wings-the-destroyer likes this
- surfnsafarikate likes this
- holdyourbreathandcounttodeath answered: I’m still very proud of them.
- whatthefuckwouldkatiedo reblogged this from bloozehockey
- iancolesbigass likes this
- bloozehockey posted this